Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Time to Blog

It's time to blog again. But as I write this blog, I wonder, is blogging worth the time?

Oh, well. Let's get to it.

I purchased my first books for grad school today. That's kind of a big step I think, in a small way. I'm excited about them, which is, admittedly, a bit dorky, but oh well. I think if by now I haven't realized I'm a dork, I shouldn't be going off to school again...

A movie recommendation: Knocked Up. Yeah, so a lot of people, especially my more conservative, religious friends have been put off by its title. But, I think it's just down right hilarious. I can't say it's never crude for the sake of being crude, but I think it's saying a lot about marriage, relationships, and gender-relations, and gender stereotypes. And believe it or not, I think it's actually pretty wholesome. It's Judd Apatow after all who gave us 40-Year-Old Virgin, which applauds its main character, despite poking some fun at his naivete, although clearly criticizing his sex-obsessed co-workers, who remains sexually abstinent until he marries at the end. If you liked 40-Year-Old Virgin, you'll like this, although I think that the humor and writing in this movie are sharper and the critiques of contemporary culture deeper.

I recently attempted to read British author Ian McEwan's Saturday. After about a hundred pages, I put it down. It just didn't keep my attention. I thought the style was drab and the story, which was kind of interesting got bogged down with a lot of seeming pointless scenes--or at the very least, they were scenes that didn't engage me at all. I only wanted to rush through them to get to what I hoped to be a more interesting part.

Now I have picked up Ralph Ellison's only novel, Invisible Man, a classic, and am enjoying it thoroughly.

I watched The Prestige with my brother and sister last night and was pleasantly surprised by it. It's not the greatest movie ever or anything, but it is a solid, enjoyable film that's a cut above you're average Hollywood drivel, even if it's not going to go on my favorite's list on Facebook.

Oh, and I've recently discovered Google Reader, which is very awesome, but time consuming. So here's a link to my public page.

That's all for now. Tune in next time.

No comments: